10 de noviembre de 2013

I’m the tympanum...

«(...) I must feel something, yes I feel something, they say I feel something, I don't know what it is, I don't know what I feel, tell me what I feel and I'll tell you who I am, they'll tell me who I am, I won't understand, but the thing will be said, they'll have said who I am, (...) and I'll have said it inside me, then in the same breath outside me, perhaps that's what I feel, an outside and an inside and me in the middle. Perhaps that’s what I am: the thing that divides the world in two on the one side the outside, on the other the inside. That can be as thin as foil. I’m neither one side nor the other, I’m in the middle. I’m the partition. I’ve two surfaces and no thickness, perhaps that’s what I feel, myself vibrating, I’m the tympanum, on the one hand the mind, on the other the world, I don’t belong to either.»

Samuel Beckett  The Unnamable.1953 (1958)